Night Snorkelling – an Activity Not to Be Missed!08 Apr 2021
If you’ve snorkelled on the reefs of the Maldives you will be familiar with the abundance of marine life, brightly coloured fish and may have even encountered turtles and rays…but that’s just the daytime story, snorkelling a night opens up a whole new world of adventure!
When the sun goes down the daytime reef inhabitants hide for the night and the nocturnal creatures become active. Many creatures come out from the crevices in the reef to hunt at night – you might be lucky enough to witness a moray eel swimming along the reef in search of a fish supper! There may be an octopus on the move or shrimps and lobsters outside of their usual hiding places and beautiful feather stars can be seen moving around. Night snorkelers also have a high chance of seeing sharks – a fantastic sight and thrilling experience, especially when the torch beam catches their eyes – they reflect the light and seem to glow in the dark, just like cats’ eyes.
If you’re looking for something new and exciting join us at Prodivers – all that is required is a bit of snorkelling experience, a little planning and some extra gear – all of which the team can help with. Are you ready for a snorkel tour to remember?
Good to know:
– Participants should be able to swim and feel comfortable in deeper water.
– The tours are usually 1 – 1.5 hours including the briefing.
– Children are welcome from the age of 8 and above with guardian/parent.
– All Prodivers centers offer night snorkelling on their house reefs except Innahura where it is by boat.
– Hurawalhi and Kudadoo also offer fluoro night snorkelling that shows the secret colours of the reef.
– Guests at Kuredu can enjoy a grand finale around the jetty where big nurse sharks can often be seen hunting!
– Private night snorkel tours are available on request for couples or families.
– Activity includes: briefing and torch hire. Mask, fins, snorkel and snorkel vest are available for rental if needed.
– Book directly at the dive centers or via the apps of selected resorts: Kuredu, Komandoo, Hurawalhi and Innahura. Kudadoo residents can simply ask their butler to arrange the activity for them as and when they wish. Lily Beach guests can contact the dive center here.