Friday Night on Vakarufalhi29 Jan 2010
Friday Night is Maldivian Night on Vakarufalhi, where everybody on the island has to wear a sarong. Sarongs are the local dress in the Maldives, usually worn by men. During the afternoon, staff on the island teach the guests the different ways how to tie the sarong, and in the evening everyone hopes that it doesn’t slip off.
Dinner itself also has a local touch, and below are just some of the local dishes on offer:
- Garudiya – fish soup with Roshi – Maldivian style bread
- Vilathu Bashi, Bodu Kekuri Satani, Bodufiyaa Satani, Mas-Huni – tomato salad, cucumber salad, onion salad, tuna salad
For main course:
- Fihinu-Khukulu – Maldivian style BBQ chicken, curry leaves coated grilled fish
- Aadhaige Bai, Tharukaaree Noodles, Bakari Riha, Mugu Riha – white rice, vegetable noodles, mutton curry, lentil curry.
- Donkeyo Kadjuru, Hunihakuru Folhi, Kaashi Bokibaa – coconut cake – banana balls, young coconut pan-cake, coconut cake.
And after dinner the local staff play the Bodu Beru, the Big Drum, and sing and dance to it until we are all tired and go to bed.